Summary: Outlook saves all mailbox items like emails, notes, contacts, attachments, calendars, etc. in OST data file format. But events like virus attack, hardware failure, system crash, etc. may damage OST file and lead to data loss. Thus, backup becomes necessary. OST file holds all your important emails that are very useful for your business. Through this guide, we will be revealing procedure to backup OST file using Outlook options and automated tool.
Backup is necessary for data protection. When talking about Outlook emails, backup helps users to access the data of OST file when it becomes inaccessible or gets damaged. Due to many factors you can face this corruption, damage and inaccessibility of OST file.
In these cases, you need to restore OST file from backup. To backup missing Outlook OST, you can either copy OST file to different location or export its mailbox items into PST file format through Import/Export wizard or professional tool. But what to do when your OST file is missing. In this case, users first need to find out location of OST file to backup.
How to know or find location of OST file?
To locate OST file in Outlook, you have to focus on these steps:
- Launch Outlook program. Go to File menu and then go for Info
- Go to Account Settings and again pick Account Settings
- Now, click on Data Files tab and choose OST file associated with the account (that you need to locate)
- Hit Open File Location… button.
- This will open the location where your OST file is saved.
Now, we will focus on the methods for taking backup of OST mailbox items.
Methods available to backup Outlook Offline Data file (.ost)
You have two options to easily backup OST file items.
Method 1. Copy OST file to another safe location
The simplest way is to copy OST file from its default location to your backup drive. From above-discussed steps, you can find OST file location.
Although OST file can’t be accessed or opened in another Outlook profile, then use third-party tool like OST to PST Converter that will access and export emails from backup OST file to Outlook supported PST file format.
You can also export desired emails from OST file backup to PST file format instead of restoring complete mailbox from OST file. This software will provide you details of database of OST file prior moving data into PST file format.
Method 2. Backup database of OST file with Import/Export Wizard of Outlook
When Outlook profile is active and OST file is connected with Exchange Server, you can export OST file mailbox items into PST format with Import/Export wizard of Outlook. The steps for this backup process are:
Backup of Outlook 2007 created OST file
To backup database of OST file in Outlook 2007, take help of these steps:
- Go to File and hit Import and Export
- Pick Export to file option and hit Next
- Pick .pst option and press Next
- Choose folder for backup. Also, include sub-folders and press Next
- Browse location to save the file and hit Finish
- If you want, you can enter password and protect the file containing OST file backup. Then, click OK.
Backup of Outlook 2010 created OST file
For backing up OST file in Outlook 2010, here are the steps:
- In Outlook 2010, navigate to File and hit Open & Import
- Pick Export to file option and press Next
- Select PST option and press Next
- Pick email folder to backup. Include sub-folders and click Next
- Hit Browse to save location and press Finish button.
Backup of Outlook 2013/2016 and 2019 created OST file
- Go to File, then on Open & Export and finally go for Import/Export option
- Pick Export to file option and press Next button
- Pick Outlook .pst file and press Next
- Choose email folder to backup and also include sub-folders. Then, press Next.
- Use Browse button to set location and then click Next
- Enter password for the file and then click OK.
The Import/Export wizard of Outlook is not suitable when you need to backup multiple Outlook accounts. So, you can simply make use of professional solution discussed above. It well supports batch conversion option that allows adding multiple OST files to convert into PST file for backup.
Also, if OST file is inactive or Outlook profile is disabled/deleted from Exchange Server, you won’t be able to use Import/Export wizard. In such cases, only professional software will help you to backup emails from inaccessible & orphaned OST files to PST file format. The software also permits backup large OST files with 100% precision.
Through this write-up, we have explained methods to backup missing Outlook OST file. First, we have discussed how to find OST file location and then for backing up OST file items, you have two choices. In case you have active Outlook profile and OST is connected with Exchange, you can go with Outlook Import/Export wizard. Otherwise go for professional software which will help you to backup all types of OST files by saving its data into PST file format. To have clear examination of the software, go for free trial version to backup few items from OST file. Once found it perfect, activate the license keys & easily backup missing Outlook OST.